Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Reading Time - Oct 9

Linking up with Steph's and Jana's Show Us Your Books ...  Skipped last month due to another bookish slump but didn't want to miss SUYB's 4 year anniversary bash! I'd have to say at least 1/3 of the books I've read since I started following Steph and/or Jana have been because of recommendations of their SUYB groupies ... of which I am one. So, thanks!

I've decided to make one of my bookcases into my own personal library hold shelf. It's filled with books that belong to me (or are on loan from my kids) that I haven't read yet. I'm hoping that by having them visible and in a location that I see regularly, that I'll start reading more of them. My 'problem' is that I work a block from a library in a neighboring county from my home library and they have a reciprocal agreement -- so if I live in one and work in another, I can have a library card to the one where I don't live. Meaning, that if I see a book I want to read, I can be on the waiting list for the real book and/or ebook at both locations. So I basically have access to 6 libraries -- work county library, work county ebook library, home county library, home county ebook library, actual home library, and all the ebooks that are on my Kindle/Glose/BookShout/NetGalley apps. Overload ... all circuits are busy ... please try again.

Anyway ... my books recently ... and sadly, only 2??

Hope Never Dies

Hope Never Dies, by Andrew Shaffer
I totally picked this because of the cover. Good mystery, pretty cheesy, and I recommend it. There are no politics in here, so if you like pulp crime, check this one out. Also found out that the author is fairly local. (4 stars and ebook from local library)

You'll Get Through This: Hope and Help for Your Turbulent Times

You'll Get Through This, by Max Lucado
A friend gave this to me during the divorce proceedings and I spaced it out to a chapter at a time as a devotion. Not rating it because it's not a book to read just for fun and not all of it applied to me, though I'm glad I read it. While I do enjoy most of his books, I can only read one every few years. (personal collection)

Currently reading (and hopefully will be on next month's post ... if I can get out of this slump):

Whistling Past the Graveyard
(Borrowed from a friend)

Dear Martin
(Ebook from the library that had magically appeared on my Kindle)

And to close, really looking forward to 'The Hate U Give' coming to theaters this month! I *highly* recommend the book and really hope the movie is as good. My daughter really wants to see the movie so she's reading it now - I'm trying to get both kids into my habit of reading a book before going to see the movie.

Any suggestions? Have you read any of these? Are you a read-before-movie person too? Or do you have your own books organized with a not-yet-read shelf?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do try to respond to any messages via email ... so make sure you have your email address listed in the comment form.

Obligatory year-in-review post - 2020

It's been a hot minute. My last post was in 2019? I figured it's time for an update. It’s long, but I haven’t posted on here in so l...