Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Books! (finally) - August

It's been a hot minute since I've written about books and joined in the monthly linkup. Well, it's been a hot minute, period. The cool, damp spring/early summer was perfect weather for me .. the 90s with heat index in the 100s? Not so much.

Be sure to check out the other posts in the link up and thanks again to Steph and Jana for hosting these each month.

So ... since March (told you that minute was hot), here's what I've read:
22073005
You, by Caroline Kepnes - I wanted to read this one before seeing the series on Netflix. Um ... definitely messed up and I needed a palate cleanser after reading. Tried watching the series and it didn't hold my interest. Maybe because the book was too much for me in a stalkerific way.

31434883
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine, by Gail Honeyman - I liked this one. It wasn't really what I was expecting though - I guess I thought it was a fluff novel, then it got darker than I was expecting, but I still liked it.

37703550. sy475
Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens - Really liked this one. Kind of reminded me of Educated, without the whackadoo religion or the true story aspect.

37715078
Good Riddance, by Elinor Lipman - Meh ... it was OK. A lot that I had to just accept and move on with - main character receives her mom's yearbook, throws it away, realizes it probably wasn't a good idea, then tries to get it back.

42399951. sy475
The Overdue Life of Amy Byler, by Kelly Harms - I'd say 3.5 stars ... funny in parts, a quick read, but if I hear "momspringa" one more time ...  The whole concept is ridiculous to me and that's fact.

And then for the 24-in-48 hour book challenge, I picked up several smallish books to breeze through:

22738563
We Should All Be Feminists - by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - 5 stars. Read it.

36479356. sy475
American Sonnets for My Past and Future Assassin - by Terrance Hayes Poetry - definitely not my usual jam, but it was good.

33858905. sy475
The End We Start From - by Megan Hunter - I liked this one. Kind of an apocalyptic story set in London. Seems like all the end of the world stories take place in the U.S. of A. so that changed things up for me.

41715227. sy475
Evidence of the Affair - by Taylor Jenkins Reid - quick read, but it was the first TJR book I've read and I'd been wanting to read her books based on so many others recommending her. However ... trigger-warning ... why do I put myself through these? I mean, the title should have been a giveaway.

27746288. sy475
Goodbye, Vitamin - by Rachel Khong - really really good. Also a quick read. Main character moves home to take care of her father, who has dementia.

I didn't track my time for the readathon - 24 hours in 48 is just not feasible for me - but I do like participating in them, because it gives me a reason to step back from all the other stresses going on and just chill with some books. Also gave me a reason to try a new coffee maker and ... hello ... so good ...
 Bialetti



What I'm reading now:
42390721. sy475
Hope Rides Again - by Andrew Shaffer - about 1/2 way through. Picks up a little bit after Book 1 (Hope Never Dies). The bromance is alive and well.

Questions for you ...
Have you read any of these? Do you do readathons and track your time? Have you tried a Moka Pot?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I do try to respond to any messages via email ... so make sure you have your email address listed in the comment form.

Obligatory year-in-review post - 2020

It's been a hot minute. My last post was in 2019? I figured it's time for an update. It’s long, but I haven’t posted on here in so l...