Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Reading Time - November 2018

Because sitting on the couch and reading requires three dogs ... apparently.

Remember, this is a link-up with Steph and Jana, so be sure to click on their names, check out their main posts, and see what everyone else is reading/recommending/DNF'ing ...

Taking a much needed break from running (though contemplating a spring marathon in a new-to-me state) and the time that was spent doing training runs can now be spent on reading, while still avoiding finishing very old DIY projects that I still don't know what the end result was supposed to be.

So, since last month's post ...

24974996
Dear Martin, by Nic Stone
Very very similar to The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas. Very. This one takes place in Atlanta and is from a boy's perspective - but a LOT of similarities. I liked THUG better, but this one was also good ... of course, I'm speaking as a WASP-female who's not had any experience with being racially profiled. (ebook and a really quick read)

17345947

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
This was a recommendation from a dear friend who read it in their book club earlier this year. Set in the 1960s in the deep south and focuses on a young runaway and how her eyes are opened to race issues going on in Mississippi and Tennessee. Highly recommend! (real book, borrowed from AKT)

35097255
The President is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson
Meh - it was OK. I mean, it had a decent story and didn't get political. I've never read anything from James Patterson ... or from Bill Clinton, for that matter ... so I don't know whose writing style I was reading. There's also a ghost writer who didn't get front cover billing (David Ellis) so it could be all his writing too. This one was a chore to read - but mainly because I kept running out of time on the library loans due to other books I was reading and other things going on IRL. First an e-book, then the real book, then the ebook again (even though my library stopped charging overdue fines for late real books, I felt guilty about keeping the real book to finish). And as word got out about the book, the wait list for both the real and e-books kept getting longer so I made sure I finished it on the third loan ...

40497497
Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley - this had been on my 'currently reading' list for awhile and I was tired of seeing it, TBH. I had already read it a couple times (once in college and then a few years later when I attempted to reread/actually read the books I had been assigned in college but skimmed over) so this was an easy read ... which is why I didn't stick with it till the end when I started it. Already knew the ending and all that jazz. This was also the selection for a statewide library read to celebrate the 200th anniversary of its publication. (ebook in personal e-library)

150060
Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield - granted, this isn't the first time I've read this but I think it's the first time I've listed it on a SUYB post. It definitely helped get me in the mindset for long-distance running and realizing I could do this on a regular basis. Just wanted to list it in case anyone has been thinking about maybe running a full or a half and how to prepare for one. There are training modules in the back for if you want to run the entire time, or if you want to run more than walk, or if you want to walk more than run. I completed three full marathons on their run/walk program and I definitely recommend it! After completing #3 last week, I'm ready for either a new challenge or a new training program. (own copy - but recommended by Rebecca Jo)

Currently reading:
looking for recommendations ... and motivation to finish the house projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do try to respond to any messages via email ... so make sure you have your email address listed in the comment form.

Obligatory year-in-review post - 2020

It's been a hot minute. My last post was in 2019? I figured it's time for an update. It’s long, but I haven’t posted on here in so l...