What's New - Sept version
Thought I'd try the 3-things list for a change. And linking up with Kristin and Gretchen this week/month.
What I'm eating -
Kind of boring.
- Current obsession is yogurt and berries for breakfast. Found some French-style yogurt ... divine. And it comes in little glass pots ... quel charme!
- Eggs ... because they're thankfully still in abundance. Need to start freezing some for when the girls decide to go on hiatus for the winter.
- Leftovers and freezer- or pantry-meals ... gradually cleaning out the pantry/fridge/freezer in preparation for an upcoming freezer-meal-put-together time with friends.
What I'm drinking -
Coffee. Always coffee. But for the three (main) ways I drink coffee?
- Regular brew
- Cold brew (homemade, preferably)
- French press (reserved for weekend enjoyment)
What I'm reading -
- Received A Beautiful Work in Progress from Kindle Unlimited? Kindle First? And I was several chapters in before I thought to check out who the author is and she happens to be of fatgirlrunning fame! It's a memoir and I'm not usually a fan of those but it's about running and struggles with health and staying consistent to running and darnitall if I'm now interested in running an ultra of some sort. Not sure I want to try trail running but a 50k is really only 5 miles more than a marathon ... 'only'.
- Had a DNF on Zorba the Greek. Just couldn't get into it but it's simply been shelved for a later date. Still keeping Les Miserables as the ongoing book (I think I read a total of 1 chapter of it last month).
- Stocked up on some beach reads for next month. Yay for the Friends of the Library book sales! Support your local library, folks. This is actually numbers 3-8. Keeping it honest here, just keeping it honest.
Labor Day weekend messed up my training a bit. No biggie since I'm still feeling pretty good about the marathon in November, but now that I'm getting into the long runs ... I have to plan ahead for taking 2-3 hours out of a day to run. What with someone moving out, family coming in for a visit, general holiday weekend activities (Farmers market, library book sale, checking out a new-to-us grocery store) and I didn't get my scheduled 14 mile run in. Again - not stressing (or am I?) but I still have two months to go.
Races this month --
- A virtual 5k to support my cousin who went through a double mastectomy earlier this year. Join me at this link! Our grandma died of breast cancer so this is now affecting my generation and as per usual ... it's on my freak-out list. Note to all the ladies - get those boobs checked annually.
- Also doing a virtual half with the Sea to Shining Sea run coordinated by Kristy. Join me here too! You can do a virtual 5k, 10k or half and you get a cool medal.
- And ending the month with a IRL half - the Indy Women's Half. This will be my second time participating and it has amazing volunteer support and pre-race/post-race swag and goodies. I think registration is still open (hint-hint ... join me!)
What I'm watching -
- The New Girl - Never really watched it and it's now when I just need a quick couple of episodes to get through a rainy day treadmill attack.
- Anne with an E - Loved the book and love this series! I've only read the first book though so the rest will be read forthwith.
- Me Before You - I was late to the game in reading the book and figured I'd maintain status quo on being late to the game with the movie. I love watching movies made in England though ... seeing Mr. Bates (Downton Abbey) as Lou's dad, or Clara (Doctor Who) as her sister, or Neville Longbottom (HP) as Lou's beau, or Finnick (Hunger Games series) as Will, or ... what really made me chuckle ... seeing Tywin Lannister (GoT) as Will's dad being buddy-buddy with Daenarys (also GoT) as Lou.
At this time, praying for safety for a friend and her family stationed in St. Croix, USVI. Been texting with her the past couple days but with Hurricane Irma bearing down on them, and then being followed by Jose (currently 'just' a tropical storm) and with two young kids ... I can't even imagine the stress. We were in the mandatory evacuation line with Hurricane Matthew last year ... but we were able to drive off island to safety. They're stuck. Not sure where Irma is headed next but hopefully friends/family in Florida already have their emergency supplies lined up. **Update before posting - they are fine! But some of the sister islands were hit pretty bad. 2017 is looking like a bad (read: active) year for hurricanes. :(
And that's what's new with me.
And that's what's new with me.