Thankful Thursday #5

After last weekend's horrific scene in Virginia, I'm definitely thankful for friends who won't back down when idiots think they can instill fear in our communities.

But for the basic thank-yous of the week ...

Absorbent desk blotters ... because coffee and gravity aren't always the best of friends



Healthy pugs -- but what's up with Frannie being a senior now? Time flies ... pugs do not. Word to the wise. Just kidding, it was only Frannie's annual checkup and Spade's bordetella booster and nail trims for both because it takes 4 people to hold Spade down. #bigboy



Frannie -- happy as can be ... but still trying to escape.

Spade ... this is his normal face. I think he's happy here.


Big salads - I'm trying the mason jar salads this week. Apparently, a quart jar is the equivalent to Elaine's Big Salad on Seinfeld. Best day was when I used fresh garden salsa as the 'dressing'. Also thankful for coworkers with gardens and sharing their fresh-made salsa.
Looks are deceiving here. This is a BIG dinner plate. Big.

The Last Tycoon - watched the first episode and I'm hooked. Also want to reread the book, because that's what I do. Fun fact - F Scott Fitzgerald books were my reading choice every time I had to fly. Not sure why I didn't want to read anything else but I would always take a paperback of his to read on planes. Weird.

Running - thankful I can keep doing it. 11 weeks (and 2 days) till my birthday marathon and I'm trying to remember how to fuel to prep for long runs, as well as what to fuel DURING the long runs.

Public school - Very thankful that the kids have access to quality education in the public school system here. But we went to the high school's open house last week and it was shocking the difference of this year compared to last year's open house. When Will was a freshman, it seemed like each class was full of parents. This year, I think all of his classes had no more than 3 or 4 sets of parents in attendance.

Also thankful for texts of concern received during and after the open house from friends who saw both of us there and couldn't believe what they were seeing. Thankful I can usually put my anger and bitterness aside for the sake of the kids. Key word: usually


Personal/bittersweet note here - thankful for August 15 and what it will always mean to me. Just because I'm going through a divorce doesn't mean I want to forget this day or the past 19 years ...

What are you thankful for?

Comments

  1. RIGHT???? You get SO MUCH SALAD in those jars! I always am blown away when I pour it out on a plate & it just KEEPS COMING OUT. How are you liking the mason jar thing? is it working for you?

    We must go to the same vet... I recognize that floor ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried the mason jar salads...gonna Google that for suggestions! I'm visiting from Ms. Rebecca Jo's link up. Happy Thursday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You salad looks delicious. I need to try that sometime. Such cute pugs. Have a great day and see you next week on Thankful Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love me a big salad! All the deliciousness you can cram in them.
    Spade's happy face....LOL On the nails, I don't know if it would help you or not, but we have a much bigger dog who hates getting his trimmed and fought so hard I feared hurting him. The groomer we use now discovered that if she put him in the wash tub he didn't fight her. We have no idea why, but you could try it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I knew you were going through a divorce. Support to you!

    My dogs are the worst most overdramatic a-holes when they get their nails done. Two are being put under for dental next week and I'm going to ask them to do the nails then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness, that salad looks amazing! yum. i need to get on the mason jar train.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom does the mason jar salads thing for work lunches and loves it. I might have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I do try to respond to any messages so make sure you have your email address listed in the comment form.

Popular posts from this blog

What's New - Sept version

What's New With You ... that You're Thankful For #3 (what?) - Aug ed.

What's new with you - July update