Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Rodes City Run - 10k (2017)

Friday's packet pickup - First off, I was so excited to bump into and finally quick-meet Rebecca at Knit By God's Hand. I've been a blog-stalker of hers for a few years ... not sure if it all started because she is a Christian knitter or that she runs, but I'm glad I found her blog AND that we just happened to show up at packet pickup around the same time. :)

Weather - Friday's weather was overcast and misty. I was actually hoping that that would be the weather for Saturday morning - it was just perfect running weather - not too chilly and the mist would keep it cool as I sprint through a 10k ... whatever. And Saturday morning's weather app told me that we were under a dense fog advisory until race start time, so we didn't bring our sunglasses. Big mistake.

Morning of - I don't eat a big breakfast before running, but didn't want to crash and burn with no fuel so I stuck with my pre-race tradition of a slice of whole-grain toast and heavy on the peanut butter with plenty of water. 
Pretty much the only time I eat peanut butter toast ... race days.

We parked in our usual lot and still had about 1/2 hour before start time. I knew I'd need to visit the portapotty though ... a few times ... so we made it to the start line with time to spare. And, per tradition, we always see someone we know while we're waiting in the portapotty line.

Race - We jumped into the crowd since there weren't signs for how to line up (as usual). I knew we were in trouble though when we were next to a couple who had bright yellow "WALKER" stickers on their bibs and a lady on the other side of us was totally done up with her make-up and hair and was drinking a can of Rock Star. I guess we need to do a better job about getting closer to the start line -- we crossed the line at 8:04 and were weaving through walkers for the first mile or so. Matt went on ahead (darn those freakishly-long legs of his) and I decided to run the first mile through and then start my interval timer (set for 4 min run/1 min walk). Have I mentioned the wind yet? At least it was at our back at the start but it was there and and it was cold. Oh - and the sun was up, no fog at all - so sunglasses really would have been helpful. No matter ... just keep running, right?

This is my first official 10k with my handy-dandy interval timer. I've only had one race where I ran the entire time so all the other races have been random intervals (walk when I got tired, start again when I get to a street sign or tree or whatever I'm aiming for). Since doing the Marathon for Mortals training for the marathon last November, I've been hooked on how well I feel while running and after the race. And I knew that if I felt like running before the walking minute was up, I could run ... and did just that. Even with the regular walk breaks, I was really hoping for a PR. The thing is though - even though I was hoping for that PR, I knew I didn't deserve it because I haven't stuck to the training program even 50% of the time. And that last mile was more than brutal - the temps seemed to have dropped and we were now running INTO the wind and it was so cold. I ended up finishing about a minute slower than last year's PR. Should I have set the running intervals longer? walking intervals shorter? worked on speedwork so that the running intervals were stronger? Stayed consistent with my training, period? I. don't. know.

This thing has been my constant running companion since last summer. Love it!

And after - Didn't spend much time in the after-race area -- no Power Bars this year? But we got our Gatorade, apple, and banana. Anyway, two more weeks before the next race (Papa John's 10-miler). I am determined to complete the next two weeks of training, eat better, and get more sleep (I laugh out loud at that one) and hopefully PR that one.

And now it's time for a bit of ranting ...

from the race website: The race was ranked the 4th largest overall race in the state and 26th largest 10K in the US by the 2014 Running USA rankings. The event attracts nearly 7,000 runners and walkers and draws athletes from all over the country to compete in the 'heart' of downtown Louisville.

This is a big race. I mean, checking the results from Saturday's run came up with 4247 finishers this year, but still a fairly large number with a normal/substantial entry fee for a fundraising event. And doing a highly non-scientific survey of fellow runners/walkers who participate, the majority (if not all of them) have said this is their favorite race. The course is great, the volunteers are amazing, it's run through neighborhoods and business districts so there are spectators pretty much all over ... etc. Yet this is the race with the worst race shirt (short sleeve cotton with minimal decoration) and when I checked the website to get race photos ... nope. Got this message instead: RACE PHOTOS: DUE TO THE LACK OF PARTICIPATION AND FUNDING, THIS SERVICE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND SUPPORT!

Nope, I don't understand nor do I support this. 

**** Edited to add that apparently there were photos taken during the race ... but not necessarily photos of everyone crossing the finish line. I did find one of Matt and me at the very beginning and it's from behind.

AND ... no Power Bars.

Would you expect to have photos at a race that size?

What about decent race shirts? or an option at registration to say no-thanks to the shirt and give that money back to the fundraiser?

And what's your post-race treat of choice, if they're going to have post-race treats available?

2 comments:

  1. I think that's awful about no race photos at the finish line, crappy T-shirts and no power bars! That's definitely not a small race! I've never done those three races, and I probably never will.
    You still did great! I eat the very same breakfast before races. It's the only time I ever eat peanut butter toast as well. It just hits the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's awesome that you got to see Rebecca! She is such a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete

I do try to respond to any messages so make sure you have your email address listed in the comment form. This is not actually a public blog yet (as in, strangers-to-me know about it but it has not been shared with many who know me) but hey! it has been great to meet-through-here people from the blogosphere! :) So please leave a comment!