Is this thing on? And my 2017 calendar (plus a couple recaps) ...

This is so late in coming -- it's just a schedule of the races we've already registered for and/or want to add to our growing list. Sad thing is, this is the first place it's being written down so I didn't realize just how many races we've got going on in 2017 ... AND, because I'm so late in writing up anything, there are also a couple recaps to mention.

12/31/16 - EXTOL Sports Benchmark Mile - Found out about this one on Facebook so we signed up. There was a discount code and it ended up being only $5, plus another $10 (maybe?) for a brunch ticket after the race. And it was in downtown New Albany so why not? It was the inaugural race, but had a pretty good turnout (I thought). Everyone got a sling bag, a t-shirt, and gloves. Dogs were welcome too and it was actually a fundraiser for the Arrow Fund (animal rescue). It was also very cold/windy and we were on the riverfront. But it was also only a mile so it was over quickly. I had to stop and walk a few seconds because the wind was just too much at that point. Even so, I now have a 'benchmark' to beat next year -- and it's about how fast I figured I'd be (slow). So at the brunch, they're handing out awards ... and I guess it's good that it didn't have more people there because I won fastest in my age group! This will be my only running award so I'm hanging on to this trophy forever.

January -
Hangover Classic - a 10 mile run -- recap: this was a new-to-us race but apparently is well-known in the local running community. There were quite a few people running (it has a 10 mile and 5k). Start line was at the American Turners Club - not even sure what this place was but I guess it was a private club for gymnastics along River Rd. We saw some friends who decided that morning to run the 5k (she's run the Boston Marathon, so a celebrity in my book!), but didn't see anyone else we knew. Take that back - I did see the lady who won the 3rd place in our age group at the mile run the day before. I think she was doing the 5k too. So the 10 mile was a new route for us -- pretty much straight down River Road to Portland and then turn around and run back. I was not prepared. It wasn't cold, but I just wasn't in the groove. I stuck with intervals since it seems to work well for me, but my phone was dying so I couldn't check pace or distance or anything without being worried it'd die. Wish list item #1 - a Garmin, so I don't have to have RunKeeper going on my phone OR a small camera, so I can take photos along my runs without having to worry about phone battery dying. Probably prefer a Garmin because I'm already gadget-overloaded. Matt and I ran together for most of it -- I'd forgotten how much I enjoy actually running with someone during races. There really weren't too many other runners for the 10 mile - several were dressed up for New Year's (wearing party hats, one guy was wearing a tux, tiaras and boas, etc.) so it was still fun and I got to run on a route I'd never been on before. Time was horrendous and when we got to the finish line, many people were already gone. We got a bottle of water and then headed back home ... only to find out later that we were supposed to have gone back inside for the after-race activities (everyone who stayed got a champagne glass to take home, plus the after-race snacks). Not sure if I'll sign up for this one again, but if the price is right and we have nothing else going on, might as well!

February -
Winter Warm-up on the Indianapolis Cultural Trail - an 8 mile run -- recap: this was an almost-fail. The week before, Allie brought the flu home from school and shared with me. Matt had gotten a flu shot, but he still picked up a bad cough. Will, the only one who remained healthy, claimed it was because he hides out in the basement playing video games all the time and wasn't breathing our sick germs. So much for trying to get him out of the house and into the sunlight ... :). Also, we moved my mom from Indianapolis into a nursing home near me this week -- so while I was still trying to get healthy, I was also spending all my free time over at the nursing home helping her get acclimated to her new surroundings and spend time with my brother and sister. As a stress-reliever, Matt and I decided to go ahead and drive up to Indianapolis for this race -- we left early Saturday morning and it was so very cold. Wind was blowing ... FLURRIES on the way ... I wasn't looking forward to this at all. We made it to bib pickup and I started to panic. We decided to cut down to the 4 mile instead ... I'm glad we did but even after starting and up until the 2 mile point, I was looking for a way to turn back around and quit. Stuck with intervals but I ran more than the interval timer told me too -- mainly because it was so freaking cold and I was underdressed!! Finished it, badly ... and then we went back home to get back to my mom. Wish list item #2: good running gloves - I wore those weird cotton/acrylic gloves that are one-size fits all and offer no warmth or protection from the cold/wind. Horrible.

March -
Rodes City 10k - I'm looking forward to this one! Love the course and the volunteers are amazing.

April -
Papa John's 10 miler - I despise this one. I will beat my best-time though. Oh, how I loathe this course though. Actually, just the mountain in the middle of it. Hate it.

Vince Klein Memorial 5k - benefiting the local youth shelter. Need to dress like a superhero ... need to find a superpower ...

Kentucky Derby Festival Mini-Marathon - hoping for a dry one this year! It'll be my third year and it's rained the other two years. Kind of thinking I might try the full in 2018 ... but it means I'd have to run the mountain in Iroquois Park again. Ugh ...

May -
Indianapolis 500 Mini-Marathon - YES! Just one week after the KDF Half, heading to Indianapolis to run another half! Not planning on any personal records with this one - but I'm super-excited because the course will be on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Meb Kan'tspellhislastname will be there.

June -
Barnyard Dash - a 10k -- haven't registered for this one yet and actually haven't decided if I'll do this one again. It's a possibility.

July - No race scheduled ... but marathon training officially begins! ... or maybe it's in June. I'm not sure now.

August - No race scheduled, because it's too ding-dong hot in August.

September -
Indianapolis Women's Half - ran this one last year (pouring down rain) and they had a registration special price of $30. I wasn't really planning on running it again but for that price?? YES!

October - No race scheduled. Marathon panic will hit full-speed this month.

November
CNO Monumental Marathon -- on my birthday! And now I have a time to beat from last year :)
Fast Freddie's Festive Five Mile Foot Feast -- tradition

December
EXTOL Sports Benchmark Mile - will they come back for a 2nd year? If so, will I try to hold on to my trophy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's New - Sept version

when suddenly ... October!

Reading Time