What's New with You - linkup

Hey hey - trying to link up this time ... so before I forget, this is a LINK UP with Kristen from See You in a Porridge.

October (as has been the norm) literally flew by. Seriously. It started with vacation, which was then interrupted by a hurricane, and then ended with a lovely Halloween evening.
We have a long driveway so Matt moved the firebowl closer to the street so the trick-or-treaters didn't have to walk so far. According to our neighbors who joined us, we had more visitors this year than ever before ... so Matt and CR are already planning on how to make next year's setup bigger and better!

Marathon training continues. In fact ... IT'S THIS WEEKEND. However, today marks the anniversary of my first race and it was the 5k portion of the race I'm doing this weekend. Some high school friends invited me during the summer of 2012 to join them in the half, but I never got around to registering or even training. 2012 was not a good year for me -- my dad had passed away that March and I was just in a funk with zero motivation to do anything (housecleaning, balancing the checkbook, exercising ... nothing). Finally a few weeks before the race, I convinced Matt to do the 5k with me. And we were hooked! I remember being so stressed about the race -- we both took Ibuprofen before the race because we just knew we'd be sore and unable to walk. Silly kids ... we regularly run 3 miles now ... but it makes me appreciate the beginning. And when I see runners fully loaded with gels and water bottles and trudging along on a 5k race, I know I've been there and understand their struggle.
This was before my first race (5k) at the Indianapolis Monumental, 11/3/12 (I'm far right)

And this was our first pre-race selfie. The start of a tradition! And it was 34 degrees that morning ... 

Books I've read in October, according to my Goodreads profile ... because I can't remember:
  • Me Before You by JoJo Moyes (yes, I'm late to the show)
  • The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney
currently reading:
  • Nothing ... hit a reading speedbump after vacation and I've started several but don't really have one that I keep going back to to finish. That needs to change.
on-going and may never finish:
  • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
I usually have more than one book going at a time anyway - especially if they're library books and I want/need to have them done before they're due. There are a slew of other e-books stored on my Kindle app for when I'm stuck in line somewhere or in traffic. The on-going book - I think I started more than a year ago. I probably only read a few pages a month when I don't have any other book handy but the story has been easy to remember/follow along with.

Things I'm excited about:
As we're still trying to pay down debt, I'm trying to be frugal with expenses. I rarely buy new clothes for me and I will clip coupons like there's no tomorrow. Remembering the coupons is another story. But when Open Enrollment for health insurance started at work, I found out that they were switching to a points-based tier system and everyone had to have bloodwork drawn to find out what tier they were in. After a single drop of blood, I find out I was put in the middle tier which almost doubled my health insurance premiums - uh .. no. So since I had to go to my PCP for an annual checkup anyway, and she sends me to the hospital for DETAILED bloodwork (we're talking VIALS of blood drawn ... only 2 or 3, but still more than a drop! and they use more advanced testing devices than some little handheld device) and I find out I'm back in the lowest tier. Really, it's the little things, but that's money saved, so I'm happy! :)


Also trying to take these two for a walk every evening. It's good for them and good for me. And we're finally using up our excess supply of Kroger bags for poo pickup.

How many books do you normally read at a time?
What do you do when you find out a goal you're working towards doesn't coincide with your life?
Do you get excited about saving money?



Comments

  1. Saving money is super exciting to me! I never used to read more than one book at a time but recently if I'm reading something a little heavy I'll also read a lighter book at the same time. I have friends that always have 3+ books on the go and I don't think I could keep track of all that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw happy race anniversary! that is awesome. i remember stressing over races and running in general and i was so excited when 3 miles/5k became my 'easy' or 'normal' run.
    what did you think of me before you and the nest?! i loved me before you and hope you did too. i have not read the nest.
    i would be so mad about the tier system, i am glad you were able to get back to the lower tier. saving money is crucial especially with something as big as health insurance!
    i have 'given up' or 'let go' of goals when they don't fit in with my life anymore. i don't want to pressure myself or stress myself out over something i don't want to do anymore, you know?
    i always read 2-3 books at a time. audiobook, ebook and real book. audiobook when i work out/drive, real book is normally on the couch or like dedicated only reading time, ebook is in bed or whenever i have like a break and can pull it up on my phone, like waiting somewhere etc. if i start a book and it doesn't grab me and make me want to finish it semi quickly, i put it back on the shelf to read another time.
    saving money is the best!! always exciting.
    thanks for linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading 3-5 books at once recently. I find with slower paced ones that I want to continue with it can be good to read some quickies in between. That's just me. I don't know I like to read a mix of things or I get bored. I change my goals a lot as the year goes on. I give myself permission to change or drop them if it seems necessary. I also give myself permission to fail or to get hyper-focused on a goal if necessary. I just like to keep track so I can see how I am changing and if there are any patterns etc. Sometimes from year-to-year I have the same goals... and I am not achieving them... which either means I need to let it go, or make it a bigger priority. Saving money is THE BEST. My husband and I have been more conscious about it in the past few years and it feels great! I wish we had started sooner, but am happy with the progress we are making! :) Good luck with your November goals! Xo - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been super into savings and sales and coupons lately! It's like a fun little challenge for me. I want to read The Nest, did you like it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I do try to respond to any messages so make sure you have your email address listed in the comment form.

Popular posts from this blog

What's New - Sept version

What's New With You ... that You're Thankful For #3 (what?) - Aug ed.

What's new with you - July update