April goals - 2016

I thought I'd try actually writing down some goals for this month and see if I'm able to mark any of them off when April 30 arrives. I mean, I'm the type of person who writes down "make a list" on my to-do list, just so I can mark it off. I'm going to try to actually write down goals not yet accomplished and that will require some effort.



Family - I'm in the sandwich generation so I want to make sure I spend time with my mama, as well as one-on-one time with my husband and kids. Since Mom can't come down here as often as she used to, I try to make sure we get up to Indianapolis to see her at least monthly. We aren't always successful but I'm trying and this is a goal for the month. (Side note: My mom and dad would come down to babysit with less than 10 minutes notice -- meaning, they would drive 100 miles to babysit if I happened to be talking to my mom early in the morning and one of the kids were sick. I couldn't ask that of my mother-in-law who lives 5 minutes away and I never expected my parents to make the trip -- they would volunteer and I appreciated them so much for that! I know they just wanted to spend time with their grandkids but it also helped me out immensely.) With immediate family -- family game night, one-on-one time with each of the kids, and a date night with Matt. Our date nights usually consist of Target runs but we're trying to be more intentional on spending time with each other.



Church/Spirituality - I've really only attended two churches in my lifetime. The one I grew up in and was married in, then the one Matt grew up in and where I joined after getting married and moving down here. Until the past year or so, I never had a desire to try out anywhere else. I just don't feel like I'm being spiritually fed at our church now. There's no women's group, there's no young-ish couples group, and the options for a weekly Bible study are either in the middle of a workday or non-existent/non-consistent on Wednesday nights (it's more topical based rather than Biblical-based). Now that neither of us have leadership jobs within the church, we're actually freer than we've ever been to try new places ... if we can just do it. Goal is to try a new church for at least one Sunday this month AND start a personal Bible study. I don't have a group to do one with and while I feel like I need the accountability of meeting with people and discussing in person, if I want to be fed, I need to find the food myself ... at least for this month. :)



Physically - I'm not really trying to lose weight but if the number on the scale goes down, woohoo! I'm really enjoying running so my goal with that is to FINISH the KDF training program. I know I need to do some cross-training as well but I'm going to focus on the running part for now. Then when I start marathon training this summer, I will be cross-training as required. Food-wise - try to eat healthier. However, because I don't like to throw things away, I will definitely finish the bag of Cadbury mini-eggs in my desk drawer at work. I mean, what fool throws those lovelies out?



Job-wise - yeah, not really sure if I can set a goal here. I guess really just try to be more thankful/grateful that I have a job. That's all I say about that.



Home-wise - finish painting! We've lived in this house for 13 years and haven't really done too much to make it ours. We went out and bought paint for the entryway, hallway, and living room ... this was in January. Here it is April 1st and we have the entryway painted and maybe 1/4 of the hallway and none of the living room. (sigh ... )



Financially - we've been trying to pay down/pay off our credit cards for years but haven't been consistent about it. Not sure what can be done in a month but I'm going to strive not to use my credit card at all this month AND find some things around the house that can be sold, then add that money directly to a credit card payment. The thing is, I don't go out for lunch at work any more and don't go shopping ... so this is pretty easy for me and my one credit card. Matt has three and he's the one who usually fills up the gas tanks and occasionally goes out for lunches or coffee at work. It'll be OK and it's all baby steps anyway.



Reading - we'll try for 4 books this month. It's my fault for picking overly long or potentially boring books and once I start a book, I have to finish it. Goodreads informed me today that I am 2 books behind on my goal to read 45 books this year. Thanks for the pressure, Goodreads.



Can't think of any other goals to add at this point. If I can accomplish each of these, I'll be doing better on April 30 than I was on April 1! And none of the pugs above are mine. I just thought they were all cute.

These are the two who bring joy to our home:

This is Spade (left) and Frannie 
(and my mini-me in the middle)

Comments

  1. good luck with your goals! i love the one about driving up to see your mom. we try and see my MIL once a month but it's hard (because sometimes i want to strangle her). i feel you on the credit card debt, it's just me with the problem here but we are getting there slowly. baby steps!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I do try to respond to any messages so make sure you have your email address listed in the comment form.

Popular posts from this blog

when suddenly ... October!

What's New - Sept version

Reading Time