Rodes City 10k - a little PR and a not-so-good weekend

I was not feeling good for this race. Not at all. All my prep and training just seemed to fly out the window in the 24 hours before the race. But I got it done. And with a slight (and totally unexpected) PR to boot!

Pre-race summary -- since Matt and Allie were going to the Roadshow concert on Friday, right after work and school, I drove the not-so-good car to work and was fulling planning on walking from downtown Jeffersonville to Slugger Field and back at lunchtime for packet pickup. I was even looking forward to it since it was going to be a nice-ish day. I had just gotten to work when Allie sent a text saying "I think Grandma fell" (Grandma, being my mom who was visiting with my sister). After a few more texts, it was determined that my sister had it under control, would be taking my mom back home to Indianapolis that afternoon, and the kids were off to school. Immediately after that, my sister called and said she had instead sent them to school so they wouldn't be worried and had called an ambulance as Mom was unresponsive but had groaned a bit while Sis was trying to get her to move/respond. I start back home and am thankful that I only work 10 minutes away. Pulled in right after the ambulance did and Mom seemed to be doing better -- they were going to take her in to the hospital as a precaution though.

A little background - my mom is amazing. She was a church secretary for 30+ years, did crossword puzzles every day (rarely left any blanks), sharp as a tack ... until about 6-7 years ago. It's not Alzheimers, but her short-term memory is shot. Her long-term memory isn't much to speak of either. And she seemed to be 'maintaining' while my dad was still alive, as I think it gave her motivation and purpose through the days to take care of him. He passed away 4 years ago this week (still sucks to think about it) and since then, she's just gone downhill. I'm thankful my sister moved back home to take care of her but it just sucks to know that the mother who raised me and supported me with whatever I wanted to do - she just isn't there any longer. Sucks sucks sucks ...

So anyway - on to the hospital where they run every possible test they can on an 84 1/2 year old woman ... MRI, EKG, EEG, Echocardiogram, chest x-ray, blood work, urinalysis (she has a history of UTIs knocking her out for a couple weeks). She may have been born in New Albany, but all her doctors are in Indianapolis so there's no one really to report to or no medical records to compare to. Basically, her tests showed that she's 84 1/2 years old with memory impairment and water on the brain (causing memory issues and mobility issues). Yep - we knew that already. Thankful she has excellent insurance! I was leaning towards not going to the 10k -- but the tests were all completed, at the time, we were thinking she would be in the hospital until Sunday or Monday, so we went ahead and planned to run the race.

And guess what -- no walk at lunch to get our packets, no way I'm driving the not-so-good car into downtown Louisville at night and by myself to get the numbers ... so we change the plans to leave the house EARLY to get our numbers before the race.

One would think that late packet pickup on race day would be close to the starting line. One would be wrong. We did finally find the parking garage with the bib numbers and we made it to the starting line in plenty of time ... but we passed several frantic looking folks without numbers and not really sure where they were supposed to go. Either it was pre-race jitters or being anxious about my mom, but I visited those portapotties way too much that morning. Made me decide that I will definitely be partaking of Imodium AD prior to the 10-mile race in 2 weeks ... TMI? deal with it.

Race summary:
Star-Spangled Banner gets me in the feels every time. Anyone else?
Prior to the gun going off, I tell Matt that I'm just going to finish but I'm not feeling it. I know he's going to fly pass me anyway so we make plans to meet at the finish line.

Mile 1 - I actually made it through the entire first mile with no walking!
Mile 2 - immediately after the 1st mile marker, there's a hill. I kept running up that too! I think I didn't stop to walk until the first water stop and only walked through that so I wouldn't waterboard myself.
Mile 3 - starting to walk a little more frequently but not for long periods of time. I really need to get a interval timer or figure out if I can do that with my phone if it won't run my battery down too quickly.
Mile 4 - this sucks, but I think there's less than a 5k less so I'm holding onto that. I seem to be holding steady on the pace, even with stopping at the first 2 water stops
Mile 5 - I see the digital clock, try to figure out what time it was when I started (meaning, how much time to deduct so I know if I finish around the same time as last year). I skipped the 3rd and final water stop.
Mile 6 to the end - sweet cracker sandwich, I can't even think right now and dear Lord why can't I get any closer to the finish line?? In the end? I finished - just like I said I would. And with a 38 second PR over last year's race. I will take it. (Matt - rockstar that he is - finished in 9 1/2 minutes faster than his PB!)

From there, we got our Gatorades, Powerbars and bananas and had to zip back to Indiana for Will's band contest. From that, we dashed home so that I could change and get back over to the hospital with Will (no time to shower and I'm sure I should have spritzed something on me to cover the sweat smell) and Matt could take Allie to a birthday shindig. Matt comes back by hospital and gets Will, I stay with my mom and sister and after much and nothing at all, she's released with a possible diagnosis of a TIA (mini-stroke).

I have a lot to be thankful for and this weekend has helped me to see it. I've had the rug pulled out from under me too many times to count (other issues that were not divulged here) - but with my mom, with our crazy schedule, with everything - I have to just turn it over to God. I have to. Meanwhile, I'm going off to have a bit of a cry now.

So yay for a PR, time to start preparing for the Papa John's 10 miler, hoping that with all the rain in the forecast that I can get outside and get some cleansing runs in, and a request to anyone who may still be reading this to please pray for me. That I change, since I can't change anyone else. And that I can get through this while remembering that it's all in God's hands.

So yeah ...


  1. oh my goodness. congrats on the PR but I am so sorry about your mom. I hope everything is okay :(

  2. Ohey Elizabeth, I'm so sorry for all you're going through. I can't imagine seeing my mom that way. That would be so heartbreaking. I'm so glad you and your sister are able to be there for her though. I will be praying for you that God helps you get through this and gives you peace and strength.
    Congrats on your PR! map to, that's awesome!
    I'm the same way, Star Spangled Banner always send chills through me and makes me so proud.
    Hang in there girl. God's got this! BTW, Jeremy volunteered at the Roadshow. He had a blast!

  3. OKKKKK - so how have I never been able to find your blog in all your comments to me? I'm so glad to have it now ... & am loving going back & reading all your recaps now :) Better late than never - right?
    ... we totally should try & do a meet up for the mini now :)
    ... & sister, I LIVE by Imodium before races ;) haha


Post a Comment

I do try to respond to any messages so make sure you have your email address listed in the comment form.

Popular posts from this blog

when suddenly ... October!

What's New - Sept version

Reading Time