Monday, December 14, 2015

Playing catch-up on this rainy day ...

Well ... yeah. Anyway, been running, been racing, haven't been training as I'd hoped. Rather than post on each race after the Barnyard Dash, just going to do a quick-ish recap of the last 5 months.

July:
Two years ago, the four of us ran the Independence Day run in New Albany - it started at the Amphitheater, ran to 'midtown' and then back. We skipped last year (not sure why) but decided to try it again this year. With the 4th being on a Saturday, the Farmer's Market was in full swing so they started and ended the race in the middle of the Farmer's Market! Not what I was hoping to see. The main point was to get the kids out and running. I don't remember my time but it wasn't very good, I know. We'll probably do this one again but only when the Farmer's Market isn't open ... too much of a crowd for me and very few encouraging spectators, if you know what I mean.

August:
No race. Hotter than anything so I didn't do much running outside either. Yeah for treadmills though! Matt and I did do some runs along the riverfront. I wish they'd get the Greenway done between New Albany/Clarksville/Jeffersonville -- there's just not enough foot traffic and it makes me nervous to try to run there by myself. Need to take some self-defense classes, or start packing heat, or stop watching CSI-type shows and movies where women are abducted while running.

September:
Ran a 10k up at my high school in Indianapolis. It is very well-organized and well-attended and inexpensive! It was only $20 or $25 for the 10k and came with a great long-sleeve tech shirt. I ran it last year for the first time with a couple of high school friends. They weren't able to make it this year so Matt ran with me for part of it. I don't remember much about it -- I don't think I went out too fast but I definitely hadn't warmed up sufficiently and started getting leg cramps at mile 2. Matt had long-since passed me by but I caught up with him at maybe mile 4? The race itself runs through neighborhoods around the high school so I had fun remembering friends who lived in those neighborhoods. Even the high school mascot was running the 5k part of the race. All the elementary schools had running programs and the students were participating in the 5k. I wish running had been this popular when I was in elementary school! Anyway, after the 5k split off, there were very few that were continuing on with the 10k. I walked far more than I had intended to and finished later than my time from last year (and after Matt, he would like that to be noted).

October:
Ran another 10k this month but while on vacation. We were already planning our trip to Hilton Head and I checked the Running in the USA website and found a race that was going to be on the day we were leaving for home. (side note: first embedded link for me right there. baby steps.) After a request was put in with our friends (the condo owners and one of whom was also running in the race), we were able to leave the kids at the condo while we ran and then came back to shower and hit the road. They didn't want to stand around in the chilly morning waiting for an hour. I don't blame them but I do wish they would be more supportive without being forced to be supportive. This one was also well-attended and the available food/drinks after really hit the spot -- pizza, bananas, oranges, apples, water, Gatorade (of a questionable color).

November:
doing the Indianapolis Monumental on a separate post :)
Also ran Fast Freddie's Festive 5-mile Foot Feast on Thanksgiving morning. We ended up leaving the house a little later than planned so when we got to the fairgrounds, I had to use the port-a-potty. I know they're probably donated but they really should have more than 3 of them for a race with nearly 1000 people. By the time I got through the line and headed to the start line, the race had started. Question: why can't they have a timing mat at the start and then move it to the finish after the last person has started? My time ended up being a couple minutes after the official time because of my pre-race potty stop. Anyway, ran more than I did last year and must have run faster during those intervals too, as even my official time was faster than last year's by about 3 minutes! Matt FLEW and he is getting his name on the back of next year's shirts for being in the top 500 finishers! Awesome and so proud of him! :)

December:
no race planned but just playing catch-up on my RunKeeper annual goal of 500 miles. I thought if I did a running streak from November 1st, I'd surely make it. That didn't stick either so now I'm just running when I can. January 1st will be the day I register for my first marathon and I'm just a-hoping that I can stick with THAT training program ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do try to respond to any messages so make sure you have your email address listed in the comment form. This is not actually a public blog yet (as in, strangers-to-me know about it but it has not been shared with many who know me) but hey! it has been great to meet-through-here people from the blogosphere! :) So please leave a comment!