2014 is here

Hello World ... and welcome to 2014! (one day late is better than never, right?)

I hate this time of year because there are so many things I want to make a New Year's Resolution about that I simply get overwhelmed, quit on all of them, go back to self-pity at not being able to change anything ... until the next Jan. 1. Maybe that's why I'm writing this on Jan. 2nd ... to avoid the hoopla that goes with anything promised or attempted on Jan. 1. 

What to do ... what to do ... 

I want to do more and be more present. I want to better myself while also spend more time with Matt and the kids. I want more than 24 hours in a day and still be able to sleep 7-8 hours/night. I want the impossible but I want to be able to do it all.

What I need is a bit different. I need to be more in tune with God, my family, nature, myself. I need to remember that it's not all about me. I need to remember. Period. And also be flexible with whatever comes my way.

So what I'm going to actually DO is ... (or attempt to do in this year) ... 

Get more of God's word in my life -- there isn't a Bible study that works with my schedule that I know of so I need to make this work for me. I have two Bible plans downloaded -- one is to read through the Bible in a year (note to self, read the entries for Jan. 2nd) and also a daily devotional/Bible verse that the youth group is doing (note to self, read the entry for Jan. 2nd). 

Spend more couple time with Matt -- he's a great guy and I want to spend more time with him. Shouldn't have to explain that one.

Spend more time one-on-one with each of the kids. Even if I have to drag them away from a book or a computer game, I need to make a point of connecting with them on a daily basis. (Already doing that but want to be more aware of doing it. As they get older, they might not want me or Matt around as much so I want to cherish our time that we have NOW.)

Run more or at least move more -- no more sitting around at home (unless reading or crocheting/knitting). If I have time to watch TV, I have time to accomplish another yarn-craft so they don't pile up and never get done. Running - I actually started the Couch-to-5k running plan on Jan. 2, 2013. We ran a few 5ks and set a new PR for my Indianapolis Monumental 5k and for the Fast Freddie Five Mile Foot Feast, compared to my 2012 records. This year ... we are registered for 4 races thus far and will have more on the books as registrations open up. I'd like to do 14 races in 2014 -- real and virtual. We'll see how that goes ... even if I have to run a virtual 5k the last 10 days of the year, it's gonna happen.

Read more -- not really sure how I can increase that since I read fairly regularly now anyway. I think I'd like to track my reading more. There's a lot of stuff about the Empty Shelf challenge -- whereby you have an Empty Shelf at the beginning of the year and fill it with the books you have read throughout the year. Nice, in theory ... but as I borrow many books from the library and/or read the occasional e-book, I'll just track that on Goodreads or some such site.

Write more -- already committing myself to writing in this blog at least 3x/week, so there's that. Would also like to get back to the nitty-gritty of writing (yes, HANDwritten) letters this year. Maybe start at the beginning of the address book and just write to people throughout the year. 

And ... learn more? Sure - let's learn something new this year. Not sure what but hopefully by the end of the year, I'll have a new skill or hobby. Darn-it, I want to learn how to do that other stitch in knitting so even if that's the only new thing I learn, I'll be happy on 12/31/14. 

So there you go. Even if no one else reads this but me, I'm happy with the list. 

Boo-ya.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's New - Sept version

What's New With You ... that You're Thankful For #3 (what?) - Aug ed.

What's new with you - July update